Monday, March 21, 2005

On IEPs (individualized education programs) and the so-called 'trouble-kids'...
Its really easy to say that we should just throw out all the students who refuse to do anything in class, and yet the moment you know they are gone I can't help but feel like a great big emptiness... Today in school I was working with the special ed. teachers while they did IEPs. One was for a student who they were going to throw out - it was ugly: parents screaming, kid upset but trying to play cool, and half the teachers just wishing he would leave now. It was disgusting... I don't know how we, as teachers, can fail a student and not think that we've failed as well...

Mercy is laying in my bed, she's been sleeping on the couch since I got here... then the other morning I woke up and there she was, lying at the foot of my bed. I felt so happy just to wake her up with a big hug... I think I love that dog more than anything else in this world.
Really.
I was thinking about it today and if offered a Lions superbowl victory to never see Mercy again I wouldn't take it... hell, I would never talk to my brother again to see the lions win a superbowl (I got two!) but not Mercy...

1 Comments:

Blogger klaurel said...

i really really miss her. that's the suckiest thing about being over here.
as we left, she was running around the house watching us go. she was the absolute hardest to leave. we can talk to the rest of you and you know we're coming back, but does she?

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home