Monday, February 14, 2005

all in all it was all just bricks in the wall...
I've changed my name; sleepy jdon just didn't fit anymore... so I went back to what I had originally wanted my name to be: onlyashadow, as in the old church song. I've always enjoyed that song... sometimes I find my self humming it...

What's new?
I'm painting my walls in my new room. I feel rather smug about the whole deal: sure is pretty juvenile to be painting your 26 year old's dwelling with artwork from a pink floyd album. I know I just should of grown up by now, but I haven't and its cool.
I intend to use the walls as an everyday drawing board, much like my ypsi house. Only this time I want to paint also and intend the walls to be organic, colouring and erasing them consistently to paint my daily feelings... it should be a good outlet.
I have to create a thematic unit for my english class. I don't know what theme/books I want to use yet. A big part of me says use 1984 and do a unit on privacy. I could pull from the papers daily, making the unit relevant, while drawing on history at the same time, thus helping the students understand the timeline of which they are a part. I couldn't believe they didn't know what fascism was the other day. Then again, did I know what fascism was in high school? nope.
Another part of me wants to do On the Road, but thats just not going to happen.
I could do a book by Kundera. The Unbearable Lightness of Being stands out, but I think Immortality is a better book, if not a little to complicated. I think the students would find Kundera boring. Maybe I will just use one of his chapters from 'The Book of Laughter and Forgetting' as part of my 1984 unit. I doubt many children know about the Russian occupation of Czechoslovakia (maybe thats a good thing, maybe its bad)...
Or I could do a unit on a movement such as the Harlem Renaisance.
There are just so many options...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlem renaissance is a good topic. I taught it once and I used "Thank you M'am" by Langston Hughes. Good topic and can also talk about diversity in language and tell them more about the time back then.
1984 is also good but I think I would go for Harlem Renaissance.

2:34 AM  
Blogger sleepy jdon said...

yeah, the Harlem Renaissance has great currency, especially in the inner city classrooms I intend to teach in... Hughes, Cullen, et. al. would definitely be more interesting to the students than kerouac and kundera...
thanks for the comments...

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home