Monday, April 18, 2005

Ignorance is free will in motion

I really like that: it implies lack of understanding/knowledge as the reason free will exist when we both know that we can look back and see what led up to, and ultimately, created some 'random' event. where we differ is in the future wherein I see all possibility (choose by us) and you see us just carrying on in a progression... as long as there is ignorance there is free will (and don't forget that there must be some sort of heisenburg uncertainty principle for determinisim too...)

We'll see what you say and then let this dog lie, not like anyone is changing their opinion this late in the game...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My claim is not that determinism is an accurate description of the universe and, therefore, we can predict any event. Not only is our knowledge imprefect, the aforementioned Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle may preclude us from knowing everything. There are two views on what the HUP means. There is the more popular view put forth Bohr that claims a particle cannot have a precise momentum and mass simultaneously; that there simply is no fact of the matter. There is also the view originally put forth by Heisenberg (the one that I like, personally) that it is not a statement about what is, only a statement about what can be known (simultaneously).

My point is that no one might know what's going to happen next. That doesn't mean that there is anything random, or that there is any free will, or anything else other than a logical chain of deterministic events. I've made arguments against free will before, I won't again here (I'm at work and this place is not conducive to thinking), but suffice to say I think there are good reasons to believe that the concept of free will doesn't make any sense. As for randomness, I guess there are reasons to believe it does, but I'll be damned if I understand them.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home