Friday, April 01, 2005

we debate in class what the purpose of school is. I haven't ever had a solid oppinion; on the one hand I believe that teaching facts/logic is neccesary and of the upmost importance, on the other I think that it doesn't matter what you know if you can't function in society.

I've been quiet on this debate a long time but now I believe I have a stance that I can take: I believe that schooling should be aimed at boosting childrens self esteem, teaching them self-efficacy, empathy, and perspective, while serving the number one goal of fighting the doubts and inhibitions that come with adolescense. Schools are where we shall provide parenting in the coming decades, and thats ok...

What we often think of as 'problem' children, troublemakers, and all around ruffians are nothing more than young men and women who don't understand their lives. I'll bet dollars to dimes all of their problems are located in the happiness/unhappiness sphere of their lives.

I don't believe in bad children only in sad children. Maybe if we can help them find themselves we will accomplish far more than teaching them a mathmatics table or how to write a five page essay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home