Tuesday, November 23, 2004

The secret to life is maintaing the balace between our inner and outer selves. The outer self being defined as our appearance and how people recieve us (all takes and perspectives, wherein their perception of us is more definite of our character, that is the out self's character). The inner self being defined as our aspirations, goals, and inspirations combating our fears, reason, and reluctance. (the inner self also would seem to have a variety of personalities/default modes/directions, but that is another post for another time).
Balance, I am pretty sure, is impossible. If we are introverted we will naturally pay more attention to our inner selves and inherently ignore the oppinions of others. If we are extroverted then the opposite would be true. (it is important to note that by introvert and extrovert I am not referring exactly to the psychological (sp?) definitions of people as introverted or extroverted. That is because I can imagine an introvert who cares only about what other people think and vice versa. I mean to say more that a persons definition of self and/or control of self is being driven by the public or by themselves)
I am also sure that noone is always to act in the interest of either the self or the public, its going to be a little bit of both. I would only argue in terms of percentage. For example, I tend to think more of my own self's perception of who I am. I also tend to not care so much what other people think. We'll say a 60/40 split, which is somewhat severe in my opinion. However, if I am giving a presentation or whatever I am sure the split may go as far as 30/70 or higher, depending on my confidence in the manner...
and here we enter the role of confidence, and inherently comfortability, but again I'll blue-ball you all and avoid that extension for another day...

now defined I would like to say again that the secret of life is maintaining that balance between inner and outer self; sometimes in searching to appease one side or the other we are going to offend the other half. It is only natural, the war of self has been argued for years in poetry, prose, philosophy, and all other worthwhile endeavors. Yet, I still find it of note and would like to define the aforementioned war as not a personal matter, in that it takes place within the self, but rather as a communicative matter: how we see our selves in the lives we live.

make sense?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home